Please find below a brief history of how Balham Mosque and Tooting Islamic Centre were established and how by the grace of Allah (SWT), we have developed to offer Islamic, educational and social services to the Muslims of South West London including the wider community.
- 1969, an Ibadat khana was established at a house in Tooting, SW17 by concerned local Muslims.
- 1973, 15 Laitwood Road was purchased and facilities were moved over.
- 1983 the freehold of 47-51 Balham High Road, SW12 was purchased. The facilities include: madrasa capacity for 250 children, salaah and funeral arrangements. A Primary School which follows the National Curriculum with an Islamic ethos was opened.
- 1993, a 999 year lease of 145-147 Upper Tooting Road, SW17 was acquired, which was formally Mayfair Cinema. Increased facilities for 1,000 musallis are now offered and the pressure for musallis of travelling from Tooting to Balham has eased.
- Shortly after, the Primary School moved to Tooting Islamic Centre and a Secondary School was also established. In 1994 the ‘Al-Risalah Education Trust’ was formed.
- 2004, the first purpose built Primary School with an Islamic ethos at Gatton Road, SW17 catering for 420 students was built with 90% funding from the Department of Education and a 10% contribution from local donors. The total project cost was £6.5m.
- 2005, 33 acres of sports playing fields was acquired near Crystal Palace by Balham Mosque on a 999 year lease with the view of establishing a Secondary Academy.
- 2009, the expansion of the current Balham Mosque site was undertaken to increase and enhance facilities for worshippers, including separate self contained facilities for ladies.
- Al-Risalah Education Trust has now expanded to offer the following:
- Provision of Nursery education for up to 100 children at 10 Gatton Road, SW17
- Purpose built school VA status (Gatton Primary School) - two form entry for 420 students
- With 80 children from Gatton Primary School, who recently achieved outstanding recognition for their work in community cohesion from Ofsted
- Secondary School for boys and girls (taught separately) at Tooting Islamic Centre
- The opening of Orchard Primary School, SW16. It also recently has been awarded VA status.
The Mosque has now embarked on the refurbishment and extension of their Balham site which will virtually enhance the community space by a further 75% and enable additional services to be offered. The cost of this project is £1.2m, may Allah (SWT) make it a successful venture.
We pray that Allah (SWT) accepts all our humble efforts and enables us to fulfill our objectives for the community. We kindly request your prayers and support in this endeavour.